Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Chapter 9: Work

Onika is now 19 years old. Fresh out of high school. Her mother couldn’t afford to send her off to college, so Onika had to work. She didn’t mind it though; it made her feel more independent. She currently works at Red Lobster in the Bronx and earns well over $500 dollars a week. She had her eyes on this white BMW that she wanted so she was saving up for it. Sadly Onika attitude problem which led to her discourteousness to customers. She kept losing her job because of that.

Onika’s P.O.V.

This is my 3rd week working at this Red Lobster joint in the Bronx. Everything is just the usual, but there was something about today that made me feel abit uncomfortable.

Towards our closing hour which was 11.00 p.m., there were only 3 tables left. The first had a family of 4, the second was a couple and the third was a party of 8. Moral of the situation, I was in for a big tip. I was extra friendly towards them, even though the family table was getting on my last nerve.

As I was waiting on their food, they kept calling me over and over just to refill their basket with garlic bread. It irritated me but I kept a fake smile on. Once I was back in the kitchen I rolled my eyes and opened my notebook which was filled with raps. My glasses were getting foggy due to the heat in here. I took them off and began to read one of the raps I’ve recently written. I was about to fix one of the lines, when I received a tap on the shoulder. I looked up irritated to come face to face with another waitress.

“Your tables are waiting.” She said with a smirk. I returned that same smirk and took up the plates and took them to the tables.

About 45 minutes all the tables were finished eating.  I cleared them and asked if they wanted dessert. Only the table of 8 wanted. The others just paid and left. I earned $10 from one and $20 from the other. I put the $30 along with the $50 I already earned today.

I got the dessert for the table of 8 from the kitchen. My glasses fogged once more and I couldn’t really see where the table was. Luckily I made it and was able to give them the dessert. I then took off the glasses and one of the guys’s winked at me while biting his lip. I can’t lie, he was kind of cute but not for me.

When they left, I was literally skipping to the table to see how big of a tip they left me. I saw none. But I did find 2 notes written on a paper towel. They said.

“You’re cute.” “Lose the glasses tho.” Ouch. That stung abit. Then it upset me. I worked extra hard, and was extra nice for this. Heck no. I angrily cleaned up the table before checking out and going home.

____________________________________
sorry that it's so short.. It was basically a filler, but i'm still writing so yahh .. you'll be satisfied .. i'm srry it took so long *runs from you and hides behind a wall* '

~Chelle-M

No comments:

Post a Comment